Friday, May 15, 2009

Weddings

Weddings

Well today I head to Riga to get married, the first time this month. Two weeks from now I will get married again in Prague. I was married once before, 19 years ago, in Connecticut. You might be thinking that I may be a global polygamist. I am not. My first marriage ended three years after it started. There is one woman at both the Riga and Prague weddings. One is a civil marriage, one a church service. Two friends will be the only guests present at the civil ceremony in Riga, a Latvian couple we are friendly with will serve as witnesses. The second, a church wedding, will be at St Barbara’s Chapel at Saint Thomas Church in the Augustinian Monastery in Prague. The civil wedding was recommended to us by our priest at Saint Thomas. With both of us being foreigners living in the Czech Republic, the administrative risks for a purely church wedding was a bit too high.

We have been hosting friends visits to Prague for two weeks now, it’s nice to slow down and just get married a few times, although, for the church wedding we will have visitors from the U.S. and Latvia, as well as a few local guests. Most of the guests are Schaubs (my family) from the U.S.; they require no planning and are not capable of any. It requires a consensus, which is mathematically impossible. This is creating a lot of unnatural feeling for my future spouse, but she has been around long enough to know how manage through it. All things with my family have a bit of unbelievable quality to them. I scheduled the wedding during one brother and his wife’s tip to Prague, 16 family members and friends are coming.

We have two weddings, visits and a double relocation back to the U.S. and Latvia this summer. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment